Thursday, April 23, 2009

Whole wheat pumpkin seed bread

I made a third loaf of bread in the bread machine the other day: whole wheat pumpkin seed bread. Once again, I increased the yeast, and it rose a lot more than the first loaf. It wasn't as tall as the white loaf, and I think next time I make it, I'll add some gluten. I have heard that just adding a couple tablespoons of gluten to wheat bread dough can make it a lot lighter. This bread was delicious, especially fresh from the machine slathered in butter. Most of the pumpkin seeds were ground up pretty well, but there are enough to give a little texture to the bread. It is slightly sweet but would probably still make good savory sandwiches. I haven't tried yet. I've just been toasting it and spreading some butter on it. Predictable but delicious. It uses milk instead of water, and I have whole milk in the fridge right now, so it's not a low-calorie bread by any stretch, but it's probably just as good with skim milk. The recipe came from the instruction manual for the bread machine.

I'm having one problem with homemade bread. Well, two problems. The first is that it's so delicious that I'm eating way more bread than I usually do. But that's not a bad problem. The second is that I'm terrible at slicing it. That's the reason I haven't made sandwiches with it yet. I end up with a lot of slices that are too thin to have any structural integrity and a few that are way too thick to use for sandwiches. I've just been slicing as I go along, and I wonder if it might be better to slice it all at once when it's cooled most of the way. Is that a good idea? Any slicing tips?

Whole wheat pumpkin seed bread:
1 3/8 cups milk
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp dry milk
1 tbsp butter
1 1/2 tsp yeast (I increased to 2 tsp)
3 tbsp pumpkin seeds

Put it in the machine and cook on the large whole wheat loaf setting.

The mixing paddle got stuck in the loaf.

1 comment:

Golda said...

I've gotten somewhat better at slicing bread since i've started making my own. I wait until it cools and then I turn it on its side before I cut it (that way it's wider and shorter). For some reason, it's easier for me that way.