Thursday, June 4, 2009

Lemon-sesame salad dressing

I have been in love with this dressing since the first batch. This was actually the first salad dressing recipe I ever tried. I had picked out several recipes to try and haven't tried any other ones because I like this one so well. Prior to this, we usually just dressed our own salads with oil and vinegar at the table, but since then I have almost always had a jar of this going. It's salty, citrusy, and thick. Plus, it's quite cheap, and you can adjust it to your preferences. This dressing is great on any kind of standard green salad, but it is also good on asparagus, broccoli, noodles, or a spoon. (Just kidding. Kind of.) I was initially reluctant to use it in a salad that had a strong cheese since I associate cheese with Europe and the dressing flavors with Asia and thought that they wouldn't mesh together. I was wrong.

Lemon-sesame salad dressing (adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home):

You should taste as you go along and adjust the amount of soy sauce and lemon to your tastes. And believe it or not, generic vegetable oil is the way to go here. The lemon and soy sauce are so powerful that you don't want a strong oil interfering.

Juice of two lemons, about 1/3 cup
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp or more dark sesame oil
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted

Whisk the ingredients together. That's all.

No comments: