Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Crepes three ways

Since getting back from Europe, we have been suffering from a little jet lag. It is getting better, but when you travel west, you get tired early and wake up early. Consequently, I've been having more elaborate breakfasts than usual. This is what I made on Sunday. For once I was up well in time for With Heart and Voice on the radio, and I listened to it while eating my crepes. Initially, I was planning on filling them all with fruit, but I had all this time and all these ingredients, so I filled them three ways.

Filling 1: strawberries, blueberries, and plain yogurt
Filling 2: mozzarella cheese, a slice of tomato, and basil
Filling 3: Blue cheese and blanched asparagus

Jon did the expert garnishing. The bottom two are garnished with basil flowers from my garden, which is still alive after being very well-tended by some friends while we were gone.

Half-whole-wheat crepes
I have a friend whose mother is white and father is Korean. She describes herself as 100% half-Asian, so I think of her when I describe these crepes as half whole wheat.

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/8 cup water, plus more if the batter is too thick
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt

Place all ingredients in a food processor and mix together. Refrigerate batter for 1-24 hours. To make the crepes, heat a crepe pan over medium-high heat until hot. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto the pan and try to get it to spread as well as possible (and let me know if you figure out how to do that). Cook for about 30 seconds on the first side. Flip and cook for about 15 seconds more.

This was cooked into one of my crepes. I thought it kind of looked like calligraphy.

No comments: