Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Butternut squash gnocchi

I made this gnocchi recipe with butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes last night. It worked beautifully. Crystal said that when she tried it, her squash was very wet, so she had to add a lot of flour to combat that, diluting the squash taste. I was prepared to battle wet squash, but mine was no wetter than the sweet potatoes. My theory is that I had a very old squash, and it had dried out somewhat. I don't remember when I bought it, but I know it was in the cabinet before I went to Europe in early June, and I didn't buy groceries for about a week before we left, so it was at least 2 1/2 months removed from the store. Perhaps using an old squash is the way to go with this recipe. Anyway, I used the exact same recipe as before, so I won't copy it here. It definitely tasted squashier, but it was still a delicate flavor. Jon and I loved it, and there were no leftovers. We ate it with butter instead of the usual olive oil and of course topped it with parmesan cheese.

No comments: