Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Corn chowder


I can't believe I've never posted our corn chowder recipe! This, spanakopita, and sweet potato gnocchi might be why Jon married me. We made this on Saturday as a pre-ballet dinner for us, his mom, and a friend. The recipe is from Vegetarian Classics by Jeanne Lemlin. While we're here, I must put in a good word for this book. When I became a vegetarian in 2002, my grandparents gave me this book for my birthday. Back then I didn't know how to make pretty much anything. The recipes in this book are always easy to follow, don't use obscure ingredients, and most importantly for a new cook, work! We still refer to it a lot, and it has ingredient combinations and techniques we wouldn't think about but end up being really good. I highly recommend this for anyone's vegetarian cookbook collection.

Corn chowder

2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
2 medium onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups vegetable broth
2 large potatoes, diced (about 2 1/2 cups)
1 celery rib, sliced
2 red bell peppers, diced
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
pepper to taste
4 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
Fresh basil to garnish

Heat the butter and oil in a stockpot on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in the stock and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes, celery, red peppers, bay leaf, basil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.

Add corn kernels and heat through. Remove the bay leaf. With an immersion blender or food processor, partially puree soup. It should still be basically a chunky vegetable soup, but pureeing a little bit gets some of the potato starch into the broth and makes it extra rich and creamy. Stir in cream and milk and serve. Garnish with fresh basil.

1 comment:

spice oils said...

I would like to start a blog that will have photos of street food or food from different regions and countries. I would like to anyone and everyone to form a community and help me to build this