Monday, May 4, 2009

Seedy potatoes


A friend brought some fantastic potatoes to a potluck one time. They were slightly sour, spicy, and Indian-flavored. I loved them. Unfortunately, she couldn't give me the recipe because they were from a deli, but my attempt to recreate them is not too bad. I was kind of in a hurry when I made these, so I boiled the potatoes first and then fried them a little in oil with the spices. It turned out pretty well, but I might try just frying them the next time. It takes longer and is more likely to stick/burn, but it would probably give it a very appealing crispiness. You might notice that there is no salt in this recipe. It's so intensely flavored that Jon and I didn't miss it at all, but don't feel shy about adding a little bit if you want.

1 lb potatoes (I used red-skinned), cut into bite-sized pieces
vegetable oil
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
1 tsp whole mustard seeds (I used black mustard seeds, but yellow would be fine too)
1 tsp whole sesame seeds
1 tsp ground coriander (whole coriander seeds would probably be better, but I only had ground)
1/2 tsp amchoor powder (sour powdered mango, available in Indian markets)
red pepper, cayenne pepper, or whatever spicy-maker you prefer, to taste
juice of 1 lime

1) Boil potatoes in a bunch of water until mostly soft, about 10-15 minutes. They will cook more, so they can be a little underdone. Drain.

2) Put some vegetable oil into a skillet over medium heat. When the oil is pretty hot (it gets thinner and very shiny), add the whole seeds and push them around. They might start popping some. That is desirable, but if it gets too intense, take the skillet off the heat because you don't want them to burn. After about a minute, add the coriander, amchoor, red pepper, and potatoes and cook for a few minutes. Try to coat the potatoes in spices. After a few minutes, remove from heat and add the lime juice.

No comments: