Saturday, February 11, 2012

Buttermilk bonanza: salad dressing

I didn't photograph it, but one of the things I wanted to try during the buttermilk bonanza was a salad dressing. I'm not really into creamy dressings, but this one was pretty nice. I based it on this recipe from smitten kitchen, but I adapted it to the ingredients in my fridge and my dislike of raw aliums.

This was pretty good. It won't become a staple because both of us prefer oil-and-vinegar or my lemon-sesame dressing, but it might appear again as a change of pace. It was pretty runny, probably in part because I subbed yogurt for mayo, and my yogurt batch was on the runny side, but I didn't mind the runniness.

Evelyn's buttermilk-dill dressing
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp yogurt
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar (reduced from 1 tbsp in original recipe, but I would probably omit altogether in the future)
1 1/2 tsp dried dill, or more or less to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Shake. Taste. Adjust.

Buttermilk used: 1/2 cup
Buttermilk bonanza total: 4 1/2 cups

No comments: