Friday, March 23, 2012

Go-to green smoothie

I have hopped onto the green smoothie bandwagon. I'm a big fan of greens, and I love the way they taste, so I had been hesitant to put them in a smoothie where I might not be able to taste them as well. But the warm weather last week and the big bunch of kale in the fridge made me decide to try it. Since I am not working or going to classes right now, I have the flexibility to make this for lunch at home, and I think I'll be having a lot of these during the good weather this year. I really enjoyed the taste and texture.
I like to have the chewiness of the bits of kale in there, but Jon isn't a fan. Our blender won't get it much smoother than the picture above, which as you can see, has some chewy bits in it, so these are just for me. Some sites advertise that these smoothies are good because you can't taste the greens, but I like that I can taste them a bit. It's not like drinking a pile of kale or anything, but it has some of that vegetal taste I love so much. This smoothie is not a complete lunch for me, and I prefer not to have my lunch entirely sweet anyway, so I've been supplementing with cheese and crackers or soup or other leftovers.

I bought a bunch of frozen fruit recently, and I have some ideas for other good green combos, so you will be seeing them again.


Evelyn's green smoothie
1/2-1 banana
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
2 leaves kale, stems removed

Blend.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahahahaha this made me laugh - check out today's post from wineandbutter.com:). I have yet to try a green milkshake/smoothie because I don't think our immersion blender could handle it. Maybe one day I'll through caution to the wind and give it a shot. And I agree, homemade lunches are the best!

Katherine said...

My mom makes green smoothies pretty often and I think they're delicious. She puts in a bit of unfiltered apple juice, a banana, and whatever green things she happens to have in her fridge - spinach, salad greens, broccoli ... She buys the big tubs of mixed baby salad greens for the purpose. Sometimes she puts some berries in, too, if she's got them.

Adam Jules said...

Oral Herpes Cure with Local Traditional Herbs
I was once a victim of Oral Herpes Virus, I was referred to a Herbal doctor whose name was Ahmed through a health blogger page with lot of his patient testimony who were cured from different diseases. I contacted him with his official email and he sent the herbal medicine to me and with his prescription I was cured within 21 days with my Herpes result negative with no trace of the virus on my blood. You can contact him through his official email address; drahmedusman5104@gmail.com. Most of his patient are been cured with his herbal medicine for Cancer, leukemia and diabetes.