Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Three short breads

I may have mentioned that I'm on a shortbread kick. I'd like to get more comfortable with shortbread ratios so I can start creating my own. Back in February, I made the rosemary pine nut shortbread from 101cookbooks. It was great! The rosemary, lemon, and pine nut flavors all had a chance to sing out, and the texture was crisp and light. It will definitely be made again. I liked it better than the Earl Grey shortbread we've made before, but Earl Grey is still Jon's favorite.
A few days ago, I made two shortbread recipes from The View from the Great Island: peanut butter chocolate chip and double dark chocolate. Both were really good, but they weren't as good in cooked form as raw. Of course, not cooking the dough is easier than cooking it, but it felt kind of naughty to eat raw shortbread dough, despite its lack of raw eggs. These recipes had a higher butter to flour ratio than other shortbreads I've made, and I think it made the cooked texture a little too crumbly. The peanut butter one almost seemed like eating straight peanut butter in the way it stuck to the roof of my mouth. I don't know if I'll make these again. Jon suggests making the dough as "summer cookies" that we can just cut off the log and eat without baking.

3 comments:

Golda said...

I like the idea of summer cookies. I might have to steal that one.

Unknown said...

Peanut butter chocolate chip? Yes please, especially uncooked! The rosemary lemon pine nut cookies sound divine!

Adam Jules said...

Oral Herpes Cure with Local Traditional Herbs
I was once a victim of Oral Herpes Virus, I was referred to a Herbal doctor whose name was Ahmed through a health blogger page with lot of his patient testimony who were cured from different diseases. I contacted him with his official email and he sent the herbal medicine to me and with his prescription I was cured within 21 days with my Herpes result negative with no trace of the virus on my blood. You can contact him through his official email address; drahmedusman5104@gmail.com. Most of his patient are been cured with his herbal medicine for Cancer, leukemia and diabetes.